I know, I know! The first thing that comes to most people’s minds when they think of crochet is an old granny sitting in her rocking chair whipping up a blanket for her sister’s cousin’s friends sixth grandchild lol. However, in the last five years or so, the art of crochet has definitely become something that has captured the attention of younger generations.
While most get into things such as crochet as a way to express themselves, surprisingly there have been a few health benefits that have been known to be gained from crochet. I know, it’s hard to think of how a person simply using some yarn and a hook could actually be gaining some sort of health benefit but it’s definitely true!
So what are the benefits you ask???
- Anxiety suppressor. Yes, it’s true! Those whom crochet are better able to manage their anxiety. This is one of the main reasons I had picked the craft back up again. When I was diagnosed with cervical cancer back in 2014, crochet was the only thing that kept me sane. It was something that I could do to pass the time during the many days and hours I spent at the hospital.
- Mindfulness. This is probably one of my favorite parts about crochet. The fact that I can spend my time creating something beautiful and also practice mindfulness makes my heart so incredibly happy. In today’s world, it is so easy to distract ourselves from the things that matter most. I use my time crocheting to focus on things that bring me joy. I think about the things that I am grateful for and doing this assists in keeping me grounded.
- Dementia. This is a pretty amazing fact. Crochet, much like music, works the parts of the brain that contribute to dementia. The more that those parts are stimulated, the less chances of them becoming “lazy”.
- Insomnia. Much like with anxiety, crochet can help relax our minds and bodies in order to be able to fall asleep easier. This is why most nights I will crochet starting a few hours before I want to go to sleep. It allows my mind time to wind down.
- Stress. Crochet (like many other forms of art) allows our minds to get lost due to the constant rhythm of the craft.
- I don’t know anyone on this planet that couldn’t benefit from a boost of confidence. Not everyone can perform magic and create a piece of clothing from a stick and thread lol. I know that since I really began taking the craft seriously, I have felt my confidence rise in what I believe I am capable of. Crochet has really shown me that there is absolutely no cap on the things that I can accomplish.
So as you can see above, there are some amazing benefits to crochet. All of these and more are what have captured the hearts of thousands of people all over the world. This is so much more than a “hobby”. It is a lifestyle and it has formed a community like nothing I have ever seen before. Although we are all unique in our ways of life, we are still the same in our creativity and our hearts!